1. (1777) This afternoon, the 'Battle of Brandywine' begins in Delaware County, Pa. British generals Howe and Cornwallis attack General Washington's Patriots at an outpost on Brandywine Creek, near Chadd's Ford; on a primary road between Baltimore and Philadelphia.
2. (1814) During the War of 1812, the U.S. Navy's Master Commandant Thomas MacDonough destroys a British squadron on Lake Champlain. This forces the British to escape on foot into Canada.
3. (1857) Mormon (LDS) guerillas--many masquerading as indians--attack and slaughter 120 emigrants enroute from Arkansas to southern California, during the "Mountain Meadows Massacre."
4. (1861) The Confederates start their Cheat Mountain Campaign. General Lee positions his troops against a Union stronghold on Cheat Mountain, (western) Va. General Lee retreats three days later, without firing a shot!
5. (1915) The First International Socialist Conference, Zimmerwald, Switzerland, calls for an immediate end to WWI.
6. (1921) Silent film actor Roscoe "Fatty" Arbuckle is arrested for the rape and murder of actress Virginia Rappe. The ensuing trial and acquittal essentially ended his film career.
7. (1940) In preparation for his attack on Soviet Russia, Adolf Hitler positions troops in Romania to protect oil reserves and establish an Eastern European base of operations.
8. (1965) The 1st Calvary Division (Airmobile) arrives in Qui Nhon, South Viet Nam, marking the first time helicopters will be used as standard conveyance into battle.
9. (1971) The thirteen-year-old Donny Osmond earns his first solo #1 ranking with "Go Away Little Girl." The Osmonds had earlier earned a #1 ranking with their hit: "One Bad Apple." Nikita Khrushchev dies on the same day.
10. (1985) Cincinnatti Reds player-manager Pete Rose breaks Ty Cobb's career hits record. Rose recorded hit #4,192 during the first inning against the San Diego Padres at Riverfront Stadium.
11. (1991) A Continental Airlines Express commuter plane breaks up in the skies over Eagle Lake, Texas, killing all (14 passengers, plus crew) aboard. Failure to follow maintenance procedures is the cause.
12. (2001) We all know what happened on this date!!