Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Paulie's Page #2 [A Start]

For Those Getting Started In Investing:
   Like my friend Paulie, we all have to start at the bottom!  I made my first trade when I was about 13 or 14--in the late 1950s.  Then there was only the local and regional newspapers that reached into "the sticks" of New York's Southern Tier.
   As a young kid in a poor family--television-less--I read practically everything I could get my hands on.  I was full of questions about most things I read; I was too young to have learned those things in school.  I became interested in the economy, businesses and investing when I was about 10 or so, so I had 3 or 4 years of "experience" under my belt by the time my first trade came along.
   Most of my 'general' education in investing came from biographies from those who'd become millionaires in the 1910s,'20s,'30s and '40s.   Sometimes the authors even put some of the history of the subject's methods of investment.
   My specific education in business, the economy and investing came primarily from the 'Times Union,' a daily  from Rochester, NY, and the Democrat and Chronicle on Sundays. [Later, the Times Union--an evening paper--was absorbed by the Democrat, a morning one]  They had the closing prices of about 50 or so stocks, those of interest to investors in the Rochester area.  On Sundays the Democrat had the weekly 'numbers' for a couple of hundred stocks plus the few [by comparison] mutual funds that existed at the time. 
   Today's novice investor has resources that in the 1950s, were only available to the brokerage houses and big-name investors!! Today there's a multitude of monthly magazines, daily--investing only--newspapers and several cable investing and business shows.  Although I suscribe to a couple of monthlies, their stock information is pretty much out-dated by the time the words are put to paper.
My Suggestion To The Novice: 
   Starting next Monday--for the 5-day week--on Monday, Wednesday and Friday, go to your newstand or local super market and buy a copy of Investor's Business Daily [IBD]; on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday buy a copy of the Wall Street Journal [WSJ].  In each of these papers, read EVERY word in EVERY article, on EVERY page.  Do this with a fairly substantial pad of paper; note every word you've never seen or can't define.  Write each of these words along the left margin, double-spaced.
   On the Monday following all this reading, go to an online dictionary or http://www.investopedia.com/, find the definitions and write them on the pad.  If this is done like I suggest, it will take most of each day to do all the reading and notations.
   Next week, we'll explore what to do with all these words; at least the ones that are important in the NECESSARY research!!

allvoices

allvoices

No comments: