Wednesday, April 25, 2012

This'n'That; April Twenty-Fifth #1; Phishing

Phishing On Yahoo.com sites!
    Early-on each morning, I check the yahoo.com site for overnight news items as well as those that never make it into the national pamphleteer 'corpse' reports.  This morning I noticed something going on with the site.
    The yahoo site--as you may, or may not, know--has a stream of thumbnail photos along the bottom of the site, with a larger photo and text--of the highlighted thumbnail--in a larger window above. So far, so good!
The way I sift through the news articles, I 'open in new tab' each item--one-at-a-time--and read the information.  I noticed that each time I 'mouse over' an item to open, the URL appears at the bottom of the computer screen.  After i open the item in the new window, a URL flashes at the bottom of the computer screen; it took quite a while to determine exactly what the URL actually was.
    To make a long story, even longer: the flashing URL turned out to be "static.ak" accompanied by a hugely-long string of letters, numbers and symbols.  I 'giggled' that URL which turns out to be a PHISHING SITE!!  As near as I can determine, what seems to be 'flashes' is the site actually searching my harddrive, looking for insecure entry points.
    EXAMPLE:  On today's (April 25th) Yahoo News site had an article about Andrew Luck being sued by someone.  I opened it in a new tab; as soon as it opened, 'static' started flashing.  After getting out as quickly as I could, I 'giggled' "Andrew Luck Sued."  This turned up 'several billion' sites; I opened the yahoo site to see if it still 'flashed.'  It DID!!  I then opened a tab--on the same 'Luck' topic--from a different news source; NO FLASHING!  The only logical reason is that the 'static' site as infected the yahoo news site in some sub-level.
Be Warned!!
Til Nex'Time....

allvoices

allvoices

No comments: