Tuesday, April 24, 2012

This'n'That; April Twenty-Fourth #3; A Final Note:

Same Book; Dust Cover Paragraph:
    I would be remiss if I didn't quote the entire paragraph on the back of the dustcover of one of my personal favorites--Ronald Reagan in Private:
    "When we arrived at the old presidential guesthouse in Lisbon where we would psend two nights, the drapes were drawn, but we could hear the muffled sounds of a demostration taking place across the street from our residence.  Reagan and I were upstairs together and he was eager to catch a glimpse of the protesters.  We tried to open the thick, floor-length curtains but they had been pinned shut by the Secret Service.  Suddenly Reagan spied a door leading to a small balcony overlooking the demonstration.
"Let's go out there," he suggested.
I was floored.  "You can't go our there," I said.  "The Secret Service would go crazy."
Reagan grinned at me.  "Watch me." he said, and opened the door and stepped onto the rooftop deck.  Shirtless, he leanded over the short wall to gaze below at the hundreds of shouting protesters demonstrating against him in the streets.
I entreated him to come back into the room.  "They might see you."
"So What?" shrugged Reagan.
    Fortunately, none of the Lisbon demonstrators looked up or they would have glimpsed the bare-chested president of the United States surveying them!
    This was the Ronald Reagan I got to know in my four years as his executive assistant in his second term.  When he was visible--whether it was in meetings in the Oval Office or in the cabinet room, events in the Rose Garden, at press conferences and speeches in front of the nation or on the other side of the world--he was bigger than life as the president of the United States.  He looked, spoke and breathed the part.  But when you were alone with him, he was the nicest, most regular guy in the world.
--From Ronald Reagan in Private
That's the final word--maybe--from me on the subject!
Til Nex'Time....
http://product.half.ebay.com/Ronald-Reagan-In-Private-A-Memoir-Of-My-Years-In-The-White-House-by-Jim-Kuhn-2004-Hardcover/30885586&tg=info

allvoices

allvoices

No comments: