Wednesday, February 29, 2012

This'n'That; February Twenty-Nineth #2; Another SCAM?!?

My Subscription Renewal....
    Until recently I subscribed to several personal finance magazines, among them "Money Magazine" from the Time, Inc., family of publications.  After many, many years of wise investments, I'd decided to concentrate on one of my primary 'loves,' woodworking.  I'm in the process of dropping my financial subscriptions by attrition and subscribing to various woodworking, woodcraft magazines.
    Well.... yesterday I got a "Money Magazine" renewal form from Associated Publishers Network.  The numbers looked a bit "owe-bamacRATic" to me; a bit of the 'new' fuzzy math!! 

*The form says that I can get one year--which equals thirteen issues--for $79.95. 
*In doing even 'fuzzy' math, one will find that an issue is priced at $6.15 EACH!! 
*Given that the newsstand price is but $3.99; that represents 154% of the per-copy price!!
*Oh.... and--lucky me--I can even use the installment plan with payments of $39.98!!
*Oh....--as they note in bold type--"You're receiving one of the lowest available rates we can offer for your regular subscription"


    I have a couple of questions for Time Inc., Publisher:

**As noted in your March, 2012 issue, the regular subscription price--with no added 'bells and whistles'--is $15.  Why are veteran subscribers like myself subjected to a 'generous renewal price' which is 5.33 TIMES your published subscription price?!?
**Also, as noted in your March, 2012 issue, you state:  We make a portion of our mailing lists available to repubitable firms.  Can you attest to the reputation of Associated Publishers Network?!?

My information came in a plain-white envelope with the return address--on the back--of:
UPE
850 S. Boulder Hwy. #355
Henderson, Nv 89015-7564
The business address:

Associated Publishers Network
850 S. Boulder Hwy #355
Henderson, Nv, 89015
1-866-437-7897
   Well--boys'n'girls--looks to me like this is a bona fide S-C-A-M!!
If I had to guess, I'd say this SCAM is geared toward those retirees, whose perceptions and cognative functions are a bit skewed.  The various recipients may not realize the disparity in the pricing offers.
Beware!!
Until Nex'Time....

allvoices

allvoices

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got one of these too- I was debating if I should shred it and not waste any more of my time, or report it. Luckily it looks like someone already beat me to it.

SCAM.

Anonymous said...

Mine is from
PSN
850 S. Boulder Hwy. #355
Henderson, NV 89015-7564
Scam from the get go.

Anonymous said...

This company has over 600 complaints with the BBB in NV. They are listed under quite a few different companies with the same address and the website to use for payment is out of the Philippines. It's just a huge SCAM. Please spread the word.

Anonymous said...

07/15/2013 rcvd offer for TIME magazine $69.95 for one year from APN.
08/12/2013 rcvd my weekly TIME magazine with a cover notice:
JUST A REMINDER... that I had set up auto renewal... for $79.95... As if I can ever remember setting up auto renewal for anything!
I've subsequently read a number of online complaints that lead me to believe I've been screwed. I don't know yet for sure, of course, but time (pun not intended) will tell. At any rate, I cancelled TIME Magazine auto renewal. Therefore... if I get screwed it's at least being shared!
I will contact APN and if I have actually 'been had' they will receive call after call after call that will result in them hanging up on me. I will be as nasty as they have (apparently) been to many people. Profanity, threats, condemnations... every operator will get an earful. It's a toll free number so I got the time for a little fun. I assure you, they'll be hanging up time and time and time again.

Anonymous said...

I received the same renewal notice. The question is how do they find names and addresses?