Let's look back a bit in national-election history to see how important an individual (actually, several individuals') vote can be.
2008: The "Clown Prince"--'The Barry 'n' Plug Show'--handily won the popular vote over Senator McCain and Governor Palin; 69.5 million to 59.9 million, translating into 365 versus 173 electoral votes.
In this context, the individual vote doesn't seem to matter much, but look at some of the individual states:
- Indiana-The "Clown Prince" won by 1.03% (11 Electoral votes)!
- Missouri-Senator McCain carried the state by a just 00.13% (11)!!
- North Carolina-The "Clown Prince" carried them by just 00.32% (15)!!
- New Mexico-Bush by 00.79% (5 Electoral votes)!!
- Iowa-Bush by 00.68% (7)!!
- Wisconsin-Heinz-Kerry by 00.38% (10)!!
- Oregon-Algore won the popular vote by 00.44% (7 Electoral votes)!!
- New Mexico-Algore by 00.06% (5)!!
- Wisconsin-Algore by 00.22% (11)!!
- Florida-Bush by 00.01% (25)!! [The narrowest state margin of victory on record!]
- Kentucky-"Slick-Willie" by 00.96% (8 Electoral votes), the only close state.
- Georgia-"Slick-Willie" by 00.59% (13 Electoral votes)!!
- North Carolina-H.W. Bush by 00.79 % (14)!!
1984: This is the "Ronaldus-Magnus" 49-state landslide (in obama's world: 56-state landslide!) election. The vote-President Reagan 54.5 million to Mondale's 37.5 million, translating to 525 versus 13 Electoral votes. Mr Mondale did manage to carry his home state of Minnesota as opposed to Algore--in 2000--who did not carry Tennessee.
1980: This election between "Ronaldus-Magnus" and President Jimmuh Cahtah--excepting the current, on-going polling results--closely mirrors this year's election possibilities. A conservative, free market governor versus a failed-socialist president. Governor Reagan-43.9 million; President Cahtah-35.5 million votes, translating to the Electoral College drubbing of 489 versus 49. Cahtah managed to carry FIVE states, including his home-state of Georgia.
I think Governor Romney can AND WILL win the popular vote as well as the electoral vote. Some self-important pundits are saying there's a Romney landslide victory in the offing; I don't think so. Although "Clown Prince" obama has multitude of--seemingly insurmountable--failures to overcome, he does have the younger and first-time voters in his pocket.
The country's future depends on you having done one; depends on you doing the other:
We shall see what we shall see!!